When you use Home Fresh Meals, you trust us with your personal data. We’re committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy policies.
This notice describes the personal data we collect, how it’s used and shared, and your choices regarding this data. We recommend that you read this along with our privacy overview, which highlights key points about our privacy policies.
This notice applies to users of Home Fresh Meals services anywhere in US or Canada, including users of Home Fresh Meals apps, websites, features, or other services we provide.
- Riders: individuals who request or receive transportation, including those who receive transportation requested by another individual
- Drivers: individuals who provide transportation to Riders individually or through partner transportation companies
- Delivery recipients: individuals who request or receive food, or other products and services, including via Home Fresh Meals.
- Delivery persons: individuals who provide delivery or other services, Home Fresh Meals. This notice also governs Home Fresh Meals other collections of personal data in connection with Home Fresh Meals services. For example, we may collect the contact information of individuals who use accounts owned by Home Fresh Meals for Business customers or of owners or employees of Home Fresh Meals restaurant partners. We may also collect the personal data of those who start but do not complete applications to be drivers or delivery persons, those who rent bicycles, scooters or other light electrical devices offered by other companies through an Home Fresh Meals app, or in connection with our mapping technology and features.
Our data practices are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we engage in the practices described in this notice in a particular country or region only if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us here or through the addresses below with any questions regarding our practices in a particular country or region.
B. Data controller and transfer
Home Fresh Meals is the data controllers for the personal data collected in connection with use of Home Fresh Meals services in the USA or Canada.
Home Fresh Meals is the data controller for the personal data collected in connection with use of Home Fresh Meals services anywhere else.
Questions, comments, and complaints about Home Fresh Meals data practices can be submitted here. You may also use this form to submit a question to Home Fresh Meals Data Protection Officer
B. How we use personal data
Home Fresh Meals collects and uses data to enable reliable and convenient transportation, delivery, and other products and services. We also use the data we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications between users
- To send marketing and non-marketing communications to users
- In connection with legal proceedings
Home Fresh Meals does not sell or share user personal data with third parties for their direct marketing, except with users’ consent.
Home Fresh Meals uses the data it collects for purposes including:
1- Providing services and features. Home Fresh Meals uses the data we collect to provide, personalize, maintain, and improve our products and services.
This includes using the data to:
- Create and update users’ accounts.
- Verify drivers’ and delivery persons’ identity, background history, and eligibility to work.
- Enable transportation, deliveries, and other services.
- Offer, process, or facilitate payments for our services.
- Offer, obtain, provide, or facilitate insurance, vehicle, invoicing, or financing solutions in connection with our services.
- Track and share the progress of rides or deliveries.
- Enable features that allow users to share information with other people, such as when riders submit a compliment about a driver, when delivery recipients provide feedback for a restaurant or delivery person, refer a friend to Home Fresh Meals, split fares, or share ETA and location with their contacts.
- Enable features to personalize users’ Home Fresh Meals accounts, such as creating bookmarks for favorite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations. We may, for example, present an Home Fresh Meals user with personalized restaurant or food recommendations based on their prior orders. Please see the section of this notice titled “Choice and transparency” to learn how to object to this use of personal data.
- Enable Accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use our services, such as those that enable deaf or hard-of-hearing drivers to alert their riders of their disabilities, allow only text messages from riders, and enable receipt of flashing trip request notifications instead of sound notifications on their mobile device.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
2- Safety and security. We use personal data to help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our services and users. This includes:
- Screening riders, drivers, and delivery persons before enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks, where permitted by law, to help prevent use of our services by unsafe drivers and/or riders.
- Using data from drivers’ or delivery persons’ devices to help identify unsafe driving behavior such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to inform them of safer driving practices. We also use data from delivery persons’ devices to verify the type of vehicles they used to provide deliveries.
- In certain regions, using information derived from driver’s license photos, and other photos submitted to Home Fresh Meals, for safety and security purposes. This includes Home Fresh Meals Real-Time ID Check feature, which prompts drivers and delivery persons to share a selfie before going online to help ensure that the driver or delivery persons using the app matches the Home Fresh Meals account we have on file. This also includes comparing photographs that we have on file against photographs (i) of other users to prevent identity-borrowing, and (ii) from public databases to verify user identity.
- Using device, location, profile, usage, and other data to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities.
- Using user ratings and feedback to encourage compliance with our Community Guidelines and as grounds for deactivating drivers and delivery persons with low ratings or who otherwise violated such guidelines in certain countries.
3- Customer support. Home Fresh Meals uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls with notice to and the consent of the user) to provide customer support, including to:
- Direct questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address user concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses and processes
4- Research and development. We may use the data we collect for testing, research, analysis, product development, and machine learning to improve the user experience. This helps us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, improve our ability to prevent the use of our services for illegal or improper purposes, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
5- Enabling communications between users. For example, a driver may message or call a rider to confirm a pickup location, a rider may contact a driver to retrieve a lost item, or a restaurant or delivery persons may call a delivery recipient with information about their order.
6- Marketing. Home Fresh Meals may use the data we collect to market our services to our users. This includes sending users communications about Home Fresh Meals services, features, promotions, sweepstakes, studies, surveys, news, updates, and events.
We may also send communications to our users about products and services offered by Home Fresh Meals partners. For example, if a user has placed a Home Fresh Meals order, we may provide recommendations, promotions, or ads about similar food offered by other Home Fresh Meals partners. Although we may send users communications about Home Fresh Meals partners’ products and services, we do not sell users’ personal data to, or share it with, such partners or others for purposes of their own direct marketing or advertising, except with users’ consent.
We may use the data we collect to personalize the marketing communications (including advertisements) that we send, including based on user location, past use of Home Fresh Meals services, and user preferences and settings.
We may also send users communications regarding elections, ballots, referenda, and other political and notice processes that relate to our services. For example, Home Fresh Meals has notified some users by email of ballot measures or pending legislation relating to the availability of Home Fresh Meals services in those users’ areas.
7- Non-marketing communications. Home Fresh Meals may use the data we collect to generate and provide users with receipts; inform them of changes to our terms, services, or policies; or send other communications that aren’t for the purpose of marketing the services or products of Home Fresh Meals or its partners.
8- Legal proceedings and requirements. We may use the personal data we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to use of Home Fresh Meals services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
9- Automated decision-making
We use personal data to make automated decisions relating to use of our services. This includes:
- Enabling dynamic pricing, in which the price of a ride, or the delivery fee for Home Fresh Meals orders, is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance, the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of riders and drivers using Home Fresh Meals at a given moment.
- Matching available drivers and delivery persons to users requesting services. Users can be matched based on availability, proximity, and other factors. Please see here for further information about our matching process.
- Determining driver and delivery person ratings, and deactivating drivers, riders, and delivery persons with low ratings. For more information about how ratings are determined and used, please see here for rider ratings, here for driver ratings, and here for delivery person ratings. Please also see the section below titled “Ratings look-up” for further information.
- Deactivating users who are identified as having engaged in fraud or activities that may otherwise harm Home Fresh Meals, its users, and others. In some cases, such as when a user is determined to be abusing Home Fresh Meals referral program, such behavior may result in automatic deactivation.
- Using driver location information, and communications between riders and drivers, to identify cancellation fees earned or induced through fraud. For example, if we determine by using such information that a driver is delaying a rider pickup in order to induce a cancellation, we will not charge the rider a cancellation fee and will adjust the amounts paid to the driver to omit such a fee. To object to such adjustment, please contact Home Fresh Meals customer support.